Monday, May 29, 2006

A long and winding road

It seemed a good idea at the time. (Have I started a post like this before?)

Approaching the end of my year of teacher training, I was obliged to nominate five local authorities where I'd be willing to spend my probationary year. This is a requirement of the Teacher Induction Scheme. As I am West of Scotland born and bred, with deep roots and a massive mortgage, I listed the four surrounding authorities, hoping for something within my ten-mile zone of inclusion.

OS Map


The pink circle indicates my 10-mile preferred zone, for comfortable commuting. The large black arrow marks the approximate location of my placement school!

As my "wild card" fifth option, I nominated Stirling, which is the next-nearest authority, but which stretches uncomfortably far north and east.

So, guess whose bluff was called?!

It seems that I shall be spending 2006/2007 in a Stirlingshire school, a daily round trip of 70 miles. With petrol running at 96.9p per litre (and, I must admit, my car is not the most economical model), it looks as if most of my Scale Point Zero starting salary will be going straight to the Shell shareholders.

4 Comments:

At Tue May 30, 04:35:00 pm GMT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi...it's the first time I'm reading your blog, but it's very interesting. Have fun in Bannockburn...although I haven't heard anything of this place beforen.

The sea

 
At Tue May 30, 04:35:00 pm GMT, Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

: )

 
At Tue May 30, 10:41:00 pm GMT, Blogger Duncan__ said...

Hallo, Seamera. For Scottish people, Bannockburn is very famous!
(Ich bin froh, dass Sie besucht haben. Mein ClustrMap wird einen Punkt in Europa jetzt haben!)

Alex ... :-)

Hey, Andy. Believe it or not, my old car doesn't even have a radio. (Maybe Santa will bring an iPod.)

 
At Wed May 31, 08:01:00 am GMT, Blogger David said...

What's slightly bizarre is that some people who ticked the "send me anywhere" box have ended up closer to home than you. :-)

I wnder how many others got their fifth choice?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home