Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Nil nisi bonum

I've just realised ...

It's not a good idea to go criticising people who will be writing your next batch of references. And you certainly shouldn't complain about the facilities that they have kindly loaned you for your probation year. And as for questioning the philosophy that underpins their educational establishment ... don't even go there.

Unfortunately, the whole idea behind the "education" blog, as far as I can see, is to air new ideas. This often involves a critique of the status quo, and might even include a moan or two about how things could be done so much better if we did them this way instead of that way.

Again unfortunately, I think I have left too many hints about my current whereabouts, so that any searching analysis may be construed as veiled criticism (or worse). Which kind of defeats the purpose of the blog. I can't see any way round this conundrum. Can you?

5 Comments:

At Mon Oct 02, 08:39:00 pm GMT, Blogger David said...

"Nothing if not good"... hmm! Not sure. You do have to be careful about what you say in your blog - blogs are public spaces. One of your fellow students came a cropper last year when a teacher got annoyed about something they wrote in their blog - and as far as I could see, they hadn't even said anything particularly bad. Does that mean that you can't say anything apart from how nice everything is? I hope not... but it is tricky.

Interestingly, I read at least two other posts on this topic just today. First I read Does anyone blog the really bad stuff on a work blog? and then I read BBC staff blogs. Any use? I thought they were interesting.

 
At Wed Oct 04, 08:31:00 pm GMT, Blogger Duncan__ said...

Thanks for the links, David.
Doug Belshaw comments (in his reply to Jonesieboy) that "blogging about the bad stuff" wouldn't be professional.
I'm more concerned that highlighting weaknesses (not that there are any, of course!) may prejudice my chances of a good end-of-year report!

 
At Sat Oct 14, 03:17:00 pm GMT, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Ah, I know this quandary, being in such a small profession. If someone who knew alighted on it, they could work it out - if sufficiently interested. Are you using your real name? Or indeed location?

 
At Fri Oct 20, 10:02:00 pm GMT, Blogger Duncan__ said...

Yup, and yup. (Bad idea, I know.)

 
At Thu Oct 26, 10:28:00 am GMT, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

You should've taken my enquiry as a chance to suggest that you weren't ... Or perhaps it's all a double bluff? ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home